HABA, the Hellenic-American Association for Professionals in Finance, is one of the premier Greek-American organizations in the New York metropolitan area. HABA is a not-for-profit organization established in 1982 to promote the professional and educational interest of Greek-Americans, Cypriots and Pan-Hellenes in the banking and finance industries. Its current active membership consists of over 200 professionals representing more than 50 institutions across the financial spectrum.
Since its inception, HABA has strived to serve the professional and educational interests of the Hellenic community by sponsoring lectures, seminars, receptions with guest speakers and other events such as book-signings, holiday celebrations and job-fairs. Over the past 30 years, HABA has had many distinguished speakers and lecturers. Our impact in the community has been recognized by the press, by governments and by our growing membership.
RECENT NOTABLE SPEAKERS
- Dr. Athanasios Orphanides, Governor, Central Bank of Cyprus
- Sarah Carlson, VP-Senior Analyst, Sovereign Risk Group, Moody's Investors Service
- Christopher Rupkey, Chief Economist, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
- Harry Markopolos, Chartered Financial Analyst & Certified Fraud Examiner
- Dr. George Handjinicolaou, Vice Chairman, The Hellenic Capital Market Commission
- Robert Savage, CEO, Track.com
- Chris Varvares, President, Macroeconomic Advisers, LLC
- Tim Scala, Macro-Strategist, Sophis Investments LLC
- Elena Ambrosiadou, Co-Founder & CEO, IKOS
- Charles Anastasiou, Managing Director, Investments, Wells Fargo Advisors, LLC
- Dr. Constantine Soras, Managing Director, CGS Economic & Financial Consulting
- Demetri Papacostas, FX Derivative Product Specialist, Bloomberg L.P.
- Dr. Charles Calomiris, Professor of Financial Institutions, Columbia University
- Dr. James Maroosis, Fordham Graduate School of Business
- Peter Stavropoulos, Esq.
- John P. Calamos, Sr., Founder, Chairman & CEO, Calamos Investments
- Dr. P. Roy Vagelos, Chairman & CEO, Merck & CO. (ret.)
- Peter G. Peterson, Chairman, Blackstone Group & Former U. S. Secretary of Commerce
- Emmanuel Kampouris, President & CEO, American Standard Inc.
- Nassos Michas, Chairman, Private Banking, Merrill Lynch
- John A. Georges, Chairman & CEO, International Paper (ret.)
- William S. Stavropoulos, Chairman & CEO, Dow Chemical Company
- Ted Athanassiades, Vice Chairman, Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. (ret.)
- Dr. John Brademas, Former U.S. Rep. to Congress from Indiana
- Michael Dukakis, Former Governor of Massachusetts & 1988 Democratic Presidential Candidate
- Paul Tsongas, late Senator from the State of Massachusetts